A Guide to Mindfulness


How I Ended Up Here


Growing up I was what you would typically recognise these days as an anxious child. I worried and became very good at it. No one ever knew about my worry. I was an internal worrier and over the years, my anxiety took many shapes and forms. It disguised itself as nervousness, bitchiness, panic attacks, migraines, asthma, over confidence, shyness, hanger, aches, pains you name it. With this worry came a sensitivity…to life. The type of sensitivity that led to even more worry which led to more sensitivity. It was a vicious cycle. I fell victim of the common expression of, ‘you’re just so sensitive’. A negative statement closely followed by a negative stigma. I became so concerned with this that I grew to become, ‘hard’. I didn’t open up about anything and pretended like nothing affected me. I stopped wearing my heart on my sleeve and shut down when situations became emotionally overwhelming. Affection was something not in my characteristics and telling those I love things that I love about them was too difficult a task that I removed myself from situations that required it.

It wasn’t until one day when I was into my fourth day of crying myself to sleep, scrolling through Pinterest searching depressing quotes, feeling sorry for myself and going through the typical motions of putting myself down that I stumbled across these powerful words. They said, ‘I used to dislike being sensitive. I thought it made me weak. But take away that single trait, and you take away the very essence of who I am. You take away my conscience, my ability to empathise, my intuition, my creativity, my deep appreciation of the little things, my vivid inner life, my keen awareness to others pain and my passion for it all’- (anonymous). I was 24 at the time. This was where everything changed, my whole outlook on life did a 360 as I gave myself a slap in the face, literally, I slapped my face. I am sensitive; in fact, I would even go as far as saying I am hypersensitive. My senses are incredibly heightened and yes this can cause worry at times but I began to realise that sensitivity was one of the most beautiful characteristics an individual could posses. Yes, I feel the lowest of lows but I too feel the highest of highs. I recognise the beauty in all my surroundings and am lucky enough to experience the warm fuzzies that come with it. So thank you Pinterest, you changed my life.

Here began my journey. I became confident in myself and my abilities. I began to change and could physically feel the change happening. I stepped into a career that I haven’t looked back on. I became a behaviour intervention teacher for young children, which meant I was able to help children like myself embrace their emotions and the beauty that comes with it. I began a journey to better educate myself in the area and started my Masters of Cognitive Psychology and Educational Practice. It was here that I discovered mindfulness. A practice that originated from eastern meditation traditions and unfortunately until recently was given the side eye from society as it was deemed a little odd and too spiritual. I educated myself around the concept and even went as far as becoming a facilitator of child developed mindfulness programs.  As my curiosity and education of it grew so did my own practice of it. I began to hear of it more and more in the media, the education system and everyday lives. There was a buzz (there still is) and I was excited. I incorporated it into my classroom and watched as amazing things developed from it. Which brings me here. My passion for the practice is at an all-time high. There is very little stopping me from standing on top of a building and yelling to all, “mindfulness, the saviour and answer to everything”. Ok. Well maybe not everything but jeez, it helps. So here we are. I still have my bad days, trust me but this practice certainly helps. Enjoy, let’s grow and discover ourselves through a mindful mind together.  



Post a Comment

Designed by FlexyCreatives